DISASTER RISK REDUCTION (DRR)
Disaster preparedness/management is a crucial component of the project and is aimed to increase the capacity of 750 households to cope with flood related stress through a participatory approach. Flood has been a perennial problem in the whole of the district severely affecting the lives of the poor communities especially of those residing in the target block. Hence, creating awareness, building institutions and infrastructure for disaster preparedness/management form a major objective of the project.
The communities in the target villages often lose substantial amount of agricultural produce due to submergence of storage areas during floods. Creating awareness on disaster preparedness and constructing facilities to prevent such loss of agricultural produce is another objective of the project.
The project, therefore, envisages to address some of the flood resulted distress at community level by:
- Promoting Disaster Management Committees (DMCs)
- Awareness generation
- Organizing PRA (Participatory Rural Appraisal) exercise and perspective plan training
· Creating access to safe drinking water facilities by installing raised handpumps
· Creating access to safe food storage structures like raised granaries
· Creating access to raised platform for protecting livestocks
· Distribution of Disaster tool kits
- Construction of 20 Raised Hand Pumps
- Construction of 5 Raised Granaries
- Construction of 1 Livestock Platform
- Transfer of 15 Disaster Tool Kits.
|Completed Raised Granary at Morigaon|
|Each Raised Granary can store grains upto 14 tonnes|
|Completed Raised Hand Pump|